Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Nature's Surprises

Yesterday, I helped plant some flowers in a community garden. I expertly avoided the poison ivy that was growing by the wall where we were shoveling. But a far more sinister event awaited me.

After our work was done, a group of us went to someone's house to enjoy a beer, eat some ice cream, and chat.

As we were walking down the sidewalk, we saw something fall out of a tree and heard a powerful thud. Being curious folk, we scurried over to see what it was. A nut? A stick?

One of the guys reached down to flip it over, but just in time we all registered what it was.

The head of a very recently deceased bird.

As we looked up into the tree, I half expected the bird's butt to fall on our faces. Knowing my experience with the contents of bird butts, this wouldn't have come as a shocker. There was a crow in the tree, rejoicing ominously in its fresh meal.

Ah, nature is full of treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment